In March this year WomenCentre travelled to London, to be part of the Million Women Rise March against Gender Violence as part of International Women’s Day. We are planning to go again next year.
Why do we march?
- One woman in four will experience domestic violence at some point in her life.
- Domestic violence has more repeat victims than any other crime (on average there will have been 35 assaults before a victim calls the police).
- Two women are murdered every week by their partner or ex partner.
- One woman if four will experience sexual assault as an adult.
- Only 5% of rapes reported to the police result in the perpetrator being convicted in court.
- 250 cases of forced marriage are report each year.
- Up to 1,420 women per year are trafficked into the UK for sexual exploitation.
- Nearly 90% of local authorities do not have a rape crisis centre.
- Over 20,000 girls could be at risk of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) in the UK.
We are already organising for next year, if you would like to go (there will be a cost involved) you can start to make a donation or contribute on a regular basis.
For more information please contact-
Sobiya Din on 01484 450866 / email@example.com