Aims of Connecting Opportunities
Connecting Opportunities aims to support the most vulnerable and marginalised new migrants in Leeds City Region to integrate and to increase their employability and become economically active members of the wider community. We recognise that some of the skills, strengths and potential of new migrants could remain untapped if we do not take action to address some of the many barriers they can face.
We hope to engage with approximately 1000 migrants over the 2 years of the project.
Some key features of the service
- Tailored to each individual.
- The same service, wherever you live in Leeds City Region.
- English language classes for up to 12 months if required.
- Specialist mental health and wellbeing support.
- Inclusive of the perspectives and contributions of women.
- Participants help to influence the project.
What we’re aiming to achieve over time
We anticipate these outcomes from the Connecting Opportunities service:
- Participants will feel more confident, speak better English and have a greater understanding of the British workplace.
- Local employers will know more about the communities living locally, will feel supported to connect with new potential employees and will promote economic well-being in some of the most economically-deprived areas of the region.
- Increased integration and understanding between local communities and new migrants.